Introduction to CMG's Modelling Workflows
Who should attend
This two-day course is designed for engineers, geologists or other technical personnel who want to create and analyze the results of black oil simulation models run in CMG`s IMEX reservoir simulator. Knowledge of basic reservoir engineering concepts is recommended.
About the course
The course will introduce the latest technology in pre and post-processing capabilities for CMG reservoir simulators. These include BUILDER, which handles the bulk of data preparation for CMG`s black oil (IMEX), compositional (GEM) and advanced thermal/chemical process (STARS) simulators. Basic input data such as geological maps, PVT data, core analysis, production data, and perforation/completion events are imported into BUILDER to create a complete dataset for the IMEX simulator. Acceptable formats for each type of data will be described. Analytical correlations for PVT and relative permeability curves will also be used for missing data. Participants will learn how to use the pre-processor to convert the raw data into an IMEX datafile. The converted datafile will be validated and processed by IMEX to generate output and graphics files. Participants will also learn how to use Results 3D and Results Graph to view the simulation output. This course will provide participants with enough information and techniques to fully master the basic and advanced features in Builder/Results to achieve optimum data designs and presentations.
- Introduction to Builder, different map formats (Cartesian, orthogonal or non-orthogonal corner point grids)
- Interpolation and editing of reservoir properties, adding/deleting wells including vertical and horizontal wells
- Adding aquifers, PVT data, relative permeability curves, and smoothing/adjusting data graphically
- Analytical correlations used in preparing PVT data, rock/fluid properties
- Defining oil/water contacts, setting reference pressure, selection of different initialization methods
- Create recurrent well data and production history files based on general field production data
- Defining well perforations and creating restart records for prediction runs
- Validate data, test runs, and review results using Results 3D and Results Graph. Create different view files, session files, multiply plots, and export Excel style reports
- Advanced Builder/Results applications
- Use of formulae to create new variables, generate sectors, and assign different properties
- Use of different geostatistical methods to generate distributions based on Log data
- Grid upscaling
- Using build-up permeability estimation, relative permeability smoothing, and end point scaling
- Scripting for multiple geostatistical realizations
- Handling complex well configurations (e.g. multilateral wells, property modification, and/or grid refinements around wells)
- Learning different process wizards and advanced presentation skills such as streamlines, iso-surfaces, vectors, and color scaling
- Different plotting techniques will be discussed including rate versus cumulative production plots, axis scaling, property versus distance plots, report (tables) generation, customized reports and templates.
Email or Phone at +1.403.531.1300.
CMG Training Courses Prerequisites